Want to diversify your bookshelf? Here is your one stop shop of all things to help with your diversity needs. Find book reviews, related blog posts and so much more!
Queenie by Carty Williams
Bridget Jones’s Diary meets Americanah in this disarmingly honest, boldly political, and truly inclusive novel that will speak to anyone who has gone looking for love and found something very different in its place. Read More
Get it At: Your Local Library, Bookshop.Org, Hive.co.uk, Indieboud, Libro.fm
Run Rebel by Manjeet Mann
When Amber runs, it’s the only time she feels completely free – far away from her claustrophobic home life. Her father wants her to be a dutiful daughter, waiting for an arranged marriage like her sister Ruby.
Running is a quiet rebellion. But Amber wants so much more – and she’s ready to fight for it.
It’s time for a revolution.
Get it At: Your Local Library, Bookshop.Org, Hive.co.uk
The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta
A fierce coming-of-age verse novel about identity and the power of drag, from acclaimed poet and performer Dean Atta. Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Jason Reynolds, and Kacen Callender.
- Melanin Library
- The Lit. Bar: Bookstore & Chill Bookshop
- LGBTQ Reads | Queering up your shelf, one rec at a time!
- Libro.fm | “#OnceYouGoBlackOut” Playlist
- Canary Wharf’s Short Story Stations to dispense stories from black authors this Black History Month with Bernardine Evaristo | LoveReading
- 20+ Terrific Novels by Hispanic Writers – Brilliant Books That’ll Move, Stir, Thrill and Dazzle You During Hispanic Heritage Month. | LoveReading
- Diverse Books | The Diverse Book Awards
- Jhalak Prize – Book of the Year by a Writer of Colour
We need LGBTQ reads now more than ever, at a time where we need to hear diverse stories and have the chance to step in other people’s shoes.
September 15-October 15 marks the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, a month long celebration that recognizes people’s contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans to the country’s history, culture and heritage.
Refugee Week is a week long festival celebrating the contributions, creativity and resilience of refugees. Here are some books that are conversation starters.
Ramadan, the holy ninth of the Islamic calendar, began this week and Muslims around the world will observe with charitable deeds, daily fasting and special prayers.
Books to help readers dive more into black history and open our eyes to the history makers we did not know exist.
Great books to promote disability justice, prevent ableism and exemplify these voices.
- Adeyemi, Toni – Children of Blood and Bone
- Adiche, Chimamanda Ngozi – Americanah
- Al-Khatahtbeh, Amani – Muslim Girl: Coming of Age
- Atta, Dean – The Black Flamingo
- Cameron, Sophie – Last Bus to Everland
- Carty-Williams, Candice – Queenie
- Celano, Marianne – Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story about Racial Injustice
- Collins, Marietta – Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story about Racial Injustice
- Fowley-Doyle, Moïra – All the Bad Apples
- Gill, Nikita – The Girl and the Goddess: Stories and Poems of Divine Wisdom
- Gill, Nikita – Where Hope Comes From: Poems of Resilience, Healing and Light
- Hagan, Ellen – Watch Us Rise
- Hazzard, Ann – Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story about Racial Injustice
- Jackson, Tiffany D. – Grown
- Mailhot, Terese Marie – Heart Berries
- Mann, Manjeet – Run Rebel
- Matheson, Nadine – The Jigsaw Man
- Medina, Tony – I Am Alfonso Jones
- Mirza, Fatima Farheen – A Place for Us
- Ng, Celeste – Everything I Never Told You
- Obama, Michelle – Becoming
- Reynolds, Justin A. – Opposite of Always
- Salaam, Yusef – Punching the Air
- Tavengerwei, Rutendo – Hope Is Our Only Wing
- Thakur, Sophia – Somebody Give This Heart a Pen
- Thomas, Angie – The Hate U Give
- Thomas, Angie – On the Come Up
- Yousafzai, Malala – We Are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World
- Zivoin, Jennifer – Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story about Racial Injustice
- Zoboi, Ibi – Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America
- Zoboi, Ibi – Punching the Air