The nominations for the 2022 CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Medals for writing and illustration have been released. The CILIP Carnegie Medal is awarded to a book written in English for children and young people that “creates an outstanding reading experience through writing”. The CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal honors “a book that creates an outstanding reading experience through illustration”.
This year, 148 books were nominated, 76 books for the Carneige Medal and 72 for the Kate Greenaway Medal. The longlist will be announced on February 16, 2022, the shortlist on March 16, 2022 and the winners on June 16, 2022.
This list is represents the quintessential saying, “so many books, so little time.” All of these books look so good and thankfully, most of them are already on my TBR shelf, so I am on the right track! Here are some of the titles that have the high honor of getting to the nomination stage:
- Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
- Blueblood by Malorie Blackman and illustrated by Laura Barrett
- Boy, Everywhere by Dassu, A. M.
- Cardboard Cowboys by Brian Conaghan
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley
- Legendborn by Tracy Deonn
- When Life Gives You Mangoes by Kereen Getten
- The Monsters of Rookhaven by Padraig Kenny and illustrated by Edward Bettison
- All Our Hidden Gifts by Caroline O’Donoghue
- The Crossing by Manjeet Mann
- Not My Problem by Ciara Smyth
- The Supreme Lie by Geraldine McCaughrean
- When the World Was Ours by Liz Kessler
- Savage Her Reply by Deirdre Sullivan
- Cane Warriors by Alex Wheatle
- Windrush Child by Benjamin Zephaniah